Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Modern Nails

728 Washington Street

Seeing that I have been getting manicures since I was in about 6th grade, I am always game to try the hot, new place.  So I tried Modern Nails, the new place on Washington, a few times just to be thorough, and have come to the conclusion that I probably will not return.  Though this is definitely one of the more polished nail shops I have seen (ha) the skills of the manicurists overall are not uniform and I just don't feel like risking another bad manicure when I know a dozen other places I can get a great one every time.

The shop is nice and clean, and the manicurists are very friendly and professional, yet the quality of your manicure/pedicure totally depends on who does it.  The shop owner, or overseer, who looks on the other workers with stern hostility is a bit frightening, even for me.  Can't imagine being her employee!  I have had two pedicures that were fantastic - long massages with hot stones - but on the downside the polish chipped really fast.  I just had my first manicure there today and granted I did get a harder color (ballet slippers) I was left unfulfilled, as the polish is very streaky and uneven.  I do appreciate a great massage, but I need the nail polish to look nice and last for longer than 12 hours.

So, I have decided that I will probably not be back.  If you're looking for a great manicure in Hoboken, Viva La Nails a few blocks up on Washington is always on point.  

No comments: